Morbius and Dracula are undead creatures who feed on human blood to survive and maintain their strength, popularly known as vampires. Morbius first appeared in the Marvel Comics as an enemy of Spider-Man in The Amazing Spider-Man#101 in October 1971, and Dracula, full name Vlad Dracula, is first encountered in the novel DRACULA by Bram Stoker (1897). Most readers must wonder which of the two vampires is stronger and if they were to clash, who would be the victor?
At their full strength, blood nourished and all, Morbius having mastered all his abilities and Dracula at his homeland having also full mastery of his abilities, Dracula would surely win the clash because he has hundreds of years of combat experience and has Morbius outclassed in terms of abilities.
It would be unfair to make a case for Dracula winning without basing it on actual and truthful comparison of their strengths, abilities, and weaknesses. Thus, I shall try to justify my decision by taking you through their respective lives. Caution: spoilers ahead, beware.
Who Is Morbius?
Morbius is a scientist known as Dr. Michael Morbius a biochemist (P.H.D., M.D.) who focuses on researching blood diseases which have earned him recognition and numerous awards including a Nobel Prize.
Morbius was born and raised in Greece, where he had an isolated childhood due to his rare blood condition. Despite this, he was intellectually gifted. This is what led him to pursue further studies in college in a bid to develop a cure for his blood disease.
In his research, he came across vampire bats. He experiments on himself by injecting himself with some new blood cells from the bats using electricity, accidentally turning himself into a living vampire. The vampiric state changes his body appearance, making him look more bat-like.
This also comes with traditional vampire abilities and strengths. While he possesses vampire traits, he lacks some of their weaknesses (allergy to the sun, garlic, or religious artifacts). However, he still needs to feed on the blood of the living to survive.
He starts a frantic search for a cure for his newly developed bloodlust. It is during this time that he meets several characters like Spider-Man, Dr. Lizard, The Fantastic Four, Werewolf, and Doctor Strange and even been part of groups like the Legion of Monsters, Midnight Sons and short shifts in S.H.I.E.L.D. and A.R.M.O.R. He also faces several foes like Daemond and the caretakers, Dracula Lilith and her demon children (where he gets infected by lilin blood and temporarily has eternal life, triple his usual regenerative powers and the ability to liquefy his body), Basilisk and The Rose.
Morbius’ bite can create other pseudo vampires under certain unspecified conditions, but fail to possess his regenerative powers. Morbius is portrayed as a hero but occasionally returns to villainy due to his bloodlust. He temporarily loses his vampirism but maintains his bloodlust.
Who Is Dracula?
Dracula is a centuries-old vampire from Transylvania. He was born as a nobleman in a small kingdom called Wallachia. At one point, he was the appointed prince of the kingdom.
He was involved in several territorial wars which eventually led him to order an assault on Turkey where he was mortally wounded (needed healing) and sought the help of a gypsy by the name Lianda (secretly a vampire) who turned him into a vampire.
Dracula soon became a vampire lord after slaying Nimrod (the Vampire Lord). He also enhanced his blood with that of the first vampire Varnae. Dracula survived many centuries, even playing a small part against the Nazis when the second world war came to Count Dracula, his home.
Dracula has been revived many times postmortem most notably after a Montesi Formula was created and wiped out all vampires, but he was resurrected. He takes up his role as lord of vampires by uniting the vampires and trying to conquer territories like the United Kingdom. He also uses his army against other superheroes.
Furthermore, he is also slain by his son Xarus but the X-Men resurrect him in the hopes that he will join them against Xarus which he refuses. Dracula takes back his role as Lord of Vampires and slays Xarus when he comes up against him.
Dracula returns to his old castle in his old kingdom (now Romania). It is while here that he begins summoning all vampires including Jubilee who works for the X-Men. He gets into a confrontation with Old Man Logan and bites him, but Logan’s healing ability enables him to resist vampirism.
Morbius Vs. Dracula
Morbius is a self-made pseudo vampire with the following abilities:
- Increased stamina: This means he can function for longer periods than normal without tiring.
- Superhuman speed: Morbius is ten times faster than any normal human speed.
- Super Strength: Morbius is stronger than any human alive.
- Heightened senses: He has increased senses, which contribute to his night vision ability and echolocation.
- Flight: He has psionic flight which means his body realignment, after transformation, allows him to navigate wind currents.
- Self-regeneration: Morbius can heal faster than normal and even faster than he did when he was temporarily infected with lilin blood.
- Hypnotic powers: Morbius can mind control beings with a lesser will.
- Gifted intellect: He was able to accomplish major awards and recognition in his professional career.
Dracula is a centuries-old vampire with the following abilities:
- Super Strength: He has superhuman strength.
- Hypnotism: Dracula can control minds, and more so for the people he turns into vampires.
- Regenerative healing factor: He can heal faster than anyone.
- Shapeshifting: He has been known to turn to mist and other creatures.
- Sorcery: Dracula has mystic powers, including weather control.
- Accomplished swordsman: Dracula was a trained swordsman before he became a vampire.
- Superhuman speed: Dracula’s speed is higher than any normal human.
- Immortality: He has lived through many centuries and was resurrected from death on many occasions.
Based on this summary of their abilities, it is now easier to determine who would win in a duel between the two. Dracula has more power and abilities than Morbius.
Even with more weaknesses, Dracula would be the ultimate winner due to his pure fighting skills, and resurrection ability meaning if put down he could still get revenge, and his superior age and hypnotic powers would also give him the upper hand.
Verdict: Dracula 1 Morbius 0